Claims Adjuster - Field
Field Claims Adjuster
Note to current employees: Ensure you coordinate with your team lead prior to applying for this position. We may use additional sources for validating qualifications, (e.g., performance evals, leader input).
American Strategic Insurance is a leading writer of Property and Casualty products. ASI offers Personal Lines Property products in over 40 states, and is currently in the process of expanding nationally. ASI is ranked a top employer in Florida, and in Tampa Bay, for many years. ASI is an independently-managed insurance company that is a member of the Progressive group of companies.
Prior to accepting a position at ASI, candidates must consent to pre-employment background check. Any offer of employment extended is contingent upon the results of the background check.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Property and Casualty
Ensures claims are fairly and accurately investigated and evaluated in accordance with established timelines, customer service standards, and quality standards. Responsible for coverage and damages analysis of property claims, which includes the ability to negotiate and complete settlements fairly and equitably with all parties.
Essential Job Functions
- Travels throughout field areas to inspect risks and assess damage.
- Determines insurance coverage.
- Examines and appropriately interprets insureds’ policies, forms in force, and other records.
- Interviews, telephones, and corresponds with insureds and other parties.
- Scopes, approves, and adjusts estimates of damage, as well as determines loss amounts. Uses estimating software to produce accurate scopes of damage.
- Determines extent of company's liability.
- Interviews, telephones, or corresponds with insureds and witnesses.
- Uses varying methods of investigation, including taking recorded statements, inspecting property damage, and reviewing documents.
- Identifies and communicates potential underwriting concerns.
- Estimates cost of repair, replacement, or compensation.
- Sets appropriate case reserves; revises case reserves in assigned files to cover probable costs.
- Submits assignments to vendors.
- Manages diaries and tasks in the Claims System.
- Prepares report of findings and negotiates settlement.
- Prepares settlement letters, denial letters, Reservation of Rights, and other letters as needed.
- Writes clear and concise diary notes, sets field assignments, sets and saves contacts, and makes payments.
- Recognizes the need for SIU involvement and identifies files for potential subrogation.
- Effectively manages pending files in accordance with Claims Best Practices.
- Appropriately applies knowledge of applicable state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Determines whether a file has a valid Assignment of Benefits and handles accordingly.
- Effectively handles all calls from customers, attorneys, public adjusters, vendors, and others.
- Sets mediation or appraisal when needed.
- Discusses strategies and attends litigation triage meetings, mediations, and Examinations under Oath when appropriate.
- Serves as an effective team member backup as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree; four years of prior work experience with a history of high performance within financial services, customer service, construction, property management, or related field; or some combination thereof. Minimum three years of claims experience required, five preferred. Property and casualty experience required.
- Motivation to lead a field adjuster’s life.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, 7 days per week with 12-hour shifts for major catastrophes, and overtime as needed for claim spikes.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly, pay attention to details, think through problems logically, apply high-school-level math skills, and make appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates integrity.
- Possesses strong English vocabulary, basic grammar skills, and professional decorum. Writing is clear and easy-to-read. Bi-lingual skills helpful.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates active listening skills through effective use of questions, reflection, and empathy.
- Demonstrates a bias toward exceptional customer service; experience providing customer service preferred.
- Possesses strengths in negotiation.
- Demonstrates the ability to get along with work associates.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word required. Proficiency in Excel preferred.
- Adjuster License in applicable states required.
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance and adjusting.
- Intermediate knowledge of residential construction, roofing, and repair techniques strongly preferred.
- Experience preparing repair estimates in Xactimate (or another software package) and interpreting estimates using unit pricing.
- Experience handling a variety of claim perils preferred.
- Motivation to develop others.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Must reside in or be willing to relocate to assigned territory. Must be willingness to travel as needed.
- Must possess the physical ability to travel to impacted areas during major catastrophes.
- Must possess the physical ability to travel for day-to-day field work and to attend litigation hearings, examinations under oath, mediations, and training as needed.
- Must have the ability to load and unload equipment as well as bend, walk, and climb for several consecutive hours while inspecting damaged property.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
The ASI Culture and Benefits
The ASI Culture is like no other. While ASI stands for "American Strategic Insurance," we also believe it stands for "Attitude, Speed and Innovation." It is through these principles we plan our day and measure our success. This can be seen through the way our team members interact with each other, the fan letters from our agents and customers, to our success during a time where other companies have struggled.
ASI offers outstanding benefits, health insurance for employees and dependents, dental, vision, up to 6% matching on our 401(k) retirement plan, earned time off, life insurance, and much more!