Claims Adjuster - Auto Liability
Florida Sheriffs Risk Management Fund
Auto Liability Claims Adjuster
This position is primarily responsible for handling all types of automobile liability claims, from first report to closure, that may be made against law enforcement agencies, including Bodily Injury claims, PIP claims, Property Damage claims, UM claims, and Med Pay claims. This position will also involve handling of first-party Physical Damage claims, in a back-up capacity.
This position requires some out-of-town travel to attend mediations.
- Examine policies to determine coverage.
- Investigate, evaluate, appraise, and settle automobile personal injury, PIP, UM, and property damage claims.
- Review police and medical records.
- Take recorded telephone statements of claimants and witnesses.
- Evaluate claimant demands and offers to settle.
- Evaluate personal injury claims and medical records and bills.
- Negotiate settlements with claimants and claimant counsel.
- Establish appropriate reserve levels.
- Contemporaneous documentation of all actions in claim file notes.
- Review vehicle damage estimates and appraisals to determine the extent of liability.
- Work with repair shops to facilitate vehicle repairs.
- Work with rental car companies to ensure claimants have a vehicle while their vehicles are being repaired.
- Coordinate the disposal of salvaged vehicles.
- Timely issue settlement checks.
- Coordinate subrogation claims and lawsuits.
- Enter data into claims management system.
- File documents.
- Requests additional information for completion of claims processing, as necessary.
- Evaluates claim and determines appropriate course of action.
- Evaluates accident reports, witness statements, medical records, claimant demands, and complaints.
- Proactively manages assigned caseload with documented plans of action to ensure timely and appropriate resolution.
- Evaluates and documents a detailed settlement analysis.
- Negotiates settlement of claims within designated authority.
- Maintains an active diary on all open claims.
- Assigns defense counsel in litigated cases, attends mediation, and oversees the litigation.
- Manages resources to maximize cost saving and identify cost control opportunities.
- Contributes to existing initiatives that save on claim expenses or creates greater efficiency in claim handling processes.
- Identifies files with subrogation potential and refers to the appropriate department to pursue recovery.
- Participates in committees and special projects as determined by the Chief of Liability Claims.
- Attend legal proceedings such as mediations, on behalf of clients as a representative of the FSRMF.
- High school graduate
- Florida Licensed Adjuster – all lines.
- Minimum of 3 years of automobile adjusting experience involving bodily injury, PIP, property damage, and subrogation claims.
- Proven skill in evaluating injury claims, medical records, and medical bills.
- Proven skill in managing litigation.
- Excellent organization skills, including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and maintain diaries.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving abilities.
- Proficient in basic computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, and the ability to learn new software applications
- An effective self-starter and who requires moderate supervision
- Strong analytic and process management skills
- Must have the ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to read and understand medical records
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships with our members and deliver results with optimal outcomes
- Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible for producing a result
- Ability to travel as required
- 3-5 years auto liability claims adjusting experience
- 4-year college degree
- Mediation experience
- Experience with claims management software systems; experience with the Origami claims system preferred.
- The candidate offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation.
The Florida Sheriffs Risk Management Fund (FSRMF), created and owned by Florida Sheriffs, provides customized and affordable liability, automobile and workers’ compensation coverages to Florida Sheriff’s offices.
The FSRMF, which originally offered liability coverage, was established in 1978 and currently insures 59 Sheriffs’ offices. The FSRMF is managed by a Board of Managers comprised of Sheriffs elected by the membership. The day-to-day operations are handled by a professional team of dedicated underwriting, claims and risk control employees of FSRMF.
Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, retirement plan, and other options to full-time employees.
Florida Sheriffs Risk Management Fund is an equal opportunity employer.